Mushrooms Blooming After ETX Rains Could Poison Your Dog
The heavy rains we've seen in East Texas the past few days are a wonderful sight, but they also tend to trigger an increase of mushroom growth on the grounds. I've had several pop up in my yard, and have seen them sprout in my neighbor's yards as well.
They are harmless, unless your pooch decides they want to snack. For that reason, I promptly discard them so my four dogs will stay safe, as well as anyone who is walking their dog on my street.
According to PetMD, mushroom poisoning is a common hazard for dogs if eaten because of the amount of type spent outdoors. Symptoms vary depending on the dog and type of mushroom ingested, but here are some of the more common ones:
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Uncoordinated movements
- Excessive drooling
If your dog does eat a mushroom, try to save a piece to take with you to the vet. That will help the vet determine whether the mushroom is poisonous and give your pet the best treatment possible.