Tyler’s Free Bulky Item Collection Week Is Here
Getting rid of old furniture or appliances is difficult, but not during Tyler's Free Bulky Item Collection Week!
The city will pick up these bulky items for free from resident's curbs. According to the City Of Tyler press release:
Bulky items to be picked up at NO CHARGE include furniture, appliances, carpet, fence material, up to four non-commercial vehicle tires, old toys and other large items that would normally require a special fee. No liquid waste, limbs, brush, or tree stumps will be picked up. Paint must be dried out with oil dry or kitty litter.
There is no need to call the Solid Waste Office when bulky items are placed at the curb. However, please note that items may be collected on a different day from regularly scheduled garbage collection.
If you're a Tyler city resident and you can't participate in this free event, many bulky items are still accepted for free during normal business hours at the City Of Tyler Recycling Center at 418 N. Bois D'Arc Avenue. To participate this way you'll need a water bill that is not older than 45 days along with a current ID.
You may recycle the following items at the City Of Tyler Recycling Center:
- Paper (newspapers, magazines, phonebooks, ads and office paper)
- Cardboard of any type (broken down)
- Plastic (rinsed and crushed #1 and #2 HDPE, lids removed; examples- water or soda bottles, milk jugs and detergent bottles)
- Glass (rinsed clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars with lids removed) NO BLUE GLASS OR MIRRORS
- Ink Cartridges
- Electronics (computers, TVs, monitors, cell phones, chargers and other portable devices)
- Metal (copper, aluminum, brass and steel)
- Aluminum cans (rinsed and crushed, no aluminum pie plates or tin)
- Household appliances including air conditioners and refrigerators DO NOT require a disposal fee this week as long as you provide a current water bill
- Motor oil/hydraulic fluid
- Automotive batteries/anti-freeze
If you place a refrigerator or other item on the curb that has a door or something that someone can become trapped in please make sure the door or hatch is removed or may be opened from the inside easily.