East Texas Produced This Year’s Highest Paid NFL Player
The top 20 NFL players with the highest salaries this year are all earning $23 million or more, and the player that's #1 on the list is an East Texas favorite.
The Kansas City Chiefs haven't gotten off to a perfect start this season by any stretch, but Patrick Mahomes is still awesome and #15 Chiefs jerseys are all over East Texas, especially at Whitehouse grocery stores on game day.
Patrick Mahomes was born in Tyler in 1993, and of course, played high school football for Whitehouse. After college football at Texas Tech, Mahomes has been to two Super Bowls with the Chiefs and has one win.
The NFL released its list of the highest-paid players in 2021 based on current contracts, and Patrick Mahomes is #1 on the list. Tom Brady barely cracked the Top 20 at #19, but he's not hurtin' either.
The NFL's biggest contracts for the 2021 season:
1. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs - $45 million
2. Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills - $43 million
3. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys - $40 million
4. DeShaun Watson, Houston Texans - $39 million
5. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks - $35 million
6. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers - $33.5 million
7. Jared Goff, Detroit Lions - $33.5 million
8. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings - $33 million
9. Carson Wentz, Indianapolis Colts - $32 million
10. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons - $30 million
11. Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans - $29.5 million
12. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers - $28.003 million
13. Jimmy Garappolo, San Franciso 49ers - $27.5 million
14. DeAndre Hopkins, Arizona Cardinals - $27.25 million
15. Matthew Stafford, LA Rams - $27 million
16. Joey Bosa, LA Chargers - $27 million
17. Derek Carr, Las Vegas Raiders - $25.005 million
18. Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns - $25 million
19. Tom Brady, Tampa Bay Bucs - $25 million
20. Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears - $23.5 million
Look at all the Texas guys on that list!
Matthew Stafford was raised in Highland Park, TX (Dallas), and attended Highland Park High School. He played college football for the Georgia Bulldogs.
Myles Garrett was raised in Arlington, TX, and went to Martin High School, and then played for Texas A&M in college.
Ryan Tannehill is from Big Spring, TX and went to Big Spring High School, then played college football for Texas A&M.
Dak Prescott grew up in Sulphur, LA and went to Haughton High School in Louisiana, and played college football at Mississippi State.
The Texans' Deshaun Watson isn't playing this season as he works out some off-field issues.
Texas is well-represented in the NFL and rocks the highest-paid list. It makes us wonder what other budding stars we have in East Texas. We'll be watching.