Tyler Fire Department Holds Annual Awards Banquet
On Saturday (3/9) the Tyler Fire Department held it’s 22nd Annual Awards Banquet at the Tyler Rose Garden. During the ceremony, firefighters and civilians were honored for their actions and service to the city.
We salute these brave men and women. Here is a list of the award recipients given to us by the Tyler Fire Department:
Firefighter Association Award:
• Mayor Barbara Bass
Chief’s Certificates of Merit (Customer Service/Staff Support) were awarded to:
• Russell Jowell – While off-duty, Firefighter Jowell assisted with accident victim until EMS arrived.
• Chris Mahler and Devin Myers – Tyler Firefighter Combat Challenge fundraising effort.
• “Over 40” Combat Challenge Team (Brandon Davis, Brent Hail, Terry Hawkins, Jeff Barnett and Stuart Weatherford) – 2nd Place win in the Firefighter Combat Challenge.
• Jonathan Admire – City of Tyler Chili Cook-Off winner for the TFD
• Steven Wieczor – Community Service
• J.R. Wood – Staff/Customer support
• Our Savior’s Lutheran Church Quilters Group
• Jeff Hudgens – Video for Banquet
• Kenneth Dean – Production of story and video on the TFD
Chief’s Certificates of Merit (Exemplary Service Awards) were awarded to:
• Matt Jenkins, Aaron Smith and Randy Davis: Providing CPR to heart attack victim
• Jimmy Morgan, Chad Baker and Jason Wright: Assistance with victim suffering from choking at Austin Elementary School
• John Rains, Kelly Adkinson and Matt Hazel: Assistance with victim suffering from stab injuries
Individual Awards included:
• Traveling Trophy from Fire Department Annual Picnic: Station 8
• Special Recognition Award:
– Tony Gumber – Coach of the gold medal TFD Soccer Team for the third straight year
• Staff Support Award – Lynda Cox
• Outstanding District Award – District 1 C-Shift, led by District Chief Les Schminkey
• Friend of the Department Awards:
– Chris Simons for his longstanding support of the Tyler Fire Department
– Ron Schwartz with ETMC – EMS for his continued support of the Tyler Firefighter Combat Challenge, as well as participation in the establishment of the scholarship program for the local Fire Academy. ETMC also provided funds for the evening’s meal.
– Rick Rayford with the Brookshire Grocery Company for his ongoing support and contributions to the Tyler Fire Department
• Legends Awards:
– Don Nicholson – Hired on September 15, 1968. Retired on December 31, 1995 with over 27 years of service to the City of Tyler.
– James Powell – Hired on October 24, 1958. Retired on January 1, 1995 with over 37 years of service to the City of Tyler.
– Tom West – Hired on May 16, 1963. Retired on May 26, 1983 with 20 years of service to the City of Tyler.
• Leadership Awards:
– District Chief Terry Rozell
• Life Saving Awards:
– Chance Johnson – University of Texas at Tyler Incident
• Firefighter of the Year:
– Reece Hunt