This might make you think twice about eating raw oysters.  A Texas woman died after developing a flesh-eating bacterial infection about three days after she ate them, and doctors say it's not an isolated incident.  It's something that happens about a hundred times each year.

TV station KLFY says Jeanette LeBlanc went crabbing with friends off the coast of Louisiana last fall, and bought a sack of raw oysters at a market near Lafayette.  About thirty-six hours later she started feeling sick, breaking out in hives and feeling "respiratory distress."  She fought it for three weeks, but passed away October 15th.

It's rare that the complications became so severe, but the infection known as Vibriosis does lead to about a hundred deaths each year.  Doctors say most people have mild symptoms and can fight if off, and recover from in a few days.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say this vibrio infection can develop after eating raw or under-cooked shellfish or by exposing open wounds to brackish water, and KFLY reports LeBlanc did both.

If you're a fan of raw oysters, will this story make you quit eating them?  Or at least think twice?  Restaurants around East Texas are making sure the shellfish they serve meet standards, so if you have a craving that might be the safest bet.  We'll keep you updated.